Monday, July 8, 2013

An eight-fold road: Buddha and his message

Please read the story of the Buddha and the selections from Buddhist teachings in the Novak anthology (pp. 50-94).  Please note that I am more interested in the quality of your reading than the quantity.  I had much rather you read 20 pages carefully than the whole of the selection superficially.

Buddhism, like Christianity, is a missionary religion, a religion whose followers belief they have a responsibility to share their message with the rest of the world.  What do you find in the story of the Buddha or in his teachings that a Buddhist might find particularly important to share with others?

9 comments:

  1. I think a particular teaching, or set of teachings, that a Buddhist would like to share with others is the teaching of the Four Truths. The truths being: suffering, the origin of suffering, the cessation of suffering and the path leading to the cessation of suffering. The Four Truths are important because the doctrine is acknowledging that there is suffering in this world that afflicts the body but it can be overcome, halted or stopped altogether. The last truth points toward the Eightfold path which are ways to instruct thinking and behavior to help those overcome and stop their suffering. So I think the Four Truths would be a great place to start if one wanted to take the Eightfold path.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Buddhist would want you to know about Dharma (the way of truth) which is where he goes for refuge. (Novak, 76-77) He sees the Buddha as a "Rain Cloud of Universal Grace" which refreshes the world and brings enlightenment. (Novak, 82) He would want you to know that Buddha is his "protector and savior", the "tender figure of the One, who says to us, "I am thy Father." (Novak, 86) Many are searching for a Father-figure, someone to protect and care for them. They are searching for truth and love, and try to find them in Buddhism.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you brought up how we are personally responsible for our own choices and actions. So many people want to blame society, their parents, their past experiences, God, etc. for what happens to them instead of realizing it's usually their own fault they are in a certain situation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed having Mr. Diggs tell us about why he is a Buddhist. To be able to ask questions about his beliefs was really good. I learned a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly agree with Mr. Diggs that we cannot define God, but I believe He is my creator and want to acknowledge Him. Without recognition or worship, God would seem cold, uncaring, maybe just scientific. Probably why Buddhists would not pray to Him or meditate with Him.

      I also enjoyed Mr. Diggs sharing his beliefs.

      Delete
  5. When I have heard a devoted Buddhist or Hindu speak, they seem to have a peace to them and seem to have it all figured out. When you see someone with that self assured peace, it is appealing. I believe it is this peace that they want to share and how they achieved it. Deepak Chopra is a good example of this. He seems to have answers!
    Eastern religions have been grouped into this New Age of so called spiritualism. Oprah got on that band wagon years ago, although she used to associate herself as a Christian (maybe she still does). When you see people happy and successful, you want some of it and those who have it want to share it with others. Who wouldn't want to be a part of this great energy of the universe?
    Buddha came to his realization of how the world seems to him and how to achieve love and peace. Being unselfish, he wanted to help out his fellow man with this message.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that a Buddhist missionary would want to share with people now to achieve Nirvana: Everything we see and touch is an illusion. Even though we have suffering though out life there’s a way to come to total peace if you have good karma, follow the Eightfold Path (right understanding, thought, speech, action, livelihood, effort, mindfulness, and concentration) and the Five Precepts [don’t kill, steal, commit adultery, lie, drink or do drugs that impair your judgement (page 70)] then instead of coming back as a frog, cow, or slave you might become like a drop of water in the ocean: still there, but part of something bigger. Nirvana is total peace, the absence of suffering, and the end of the birth-death cycle.
    The main thing I find sad about this mind-set of Buddhism is that they don’t believe that God is there to give them salvation. There’s already a way to be rid of suffering and have peace and happiness, but it seems to me that Buddhists think they can get there all on their own. After reading and hearing from our guest speaker about Buddhism I felt like it was a religion filled with emptiness, uncertainty, and a bunch of guessing games as to what one is supposed to do in their life and what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aleya, I also thought Buddhism sounds very empty and uncertain. I don't understand who wouldn't care about where they go after they die. I don't want to be just a drop in the ocean. I want to soar like an eagle!

      Delete
  7. One teaching that I find refreshing about Buddhism after studying Hinduism is the idea that we have an obligation and a possibility of doing something to relieve suffering. Especially in the context of Hindu society, where people can seem so resigned to suffering as just the way things are, it seems a Buddhist who knew the origins of his faith would be moved with compassion to go where he could go and do what he could do to spread the practice. It seems that is a strong motivator in Mr. Diggs' life which I can appreciate.

    I do have to say, though, that an eventual escape from suffering for me does not have any hope nor appeal, knowing that generations of my descendants and those of people I love will still be here suffering. World history clearly shows us that suffering does not just go away, and Buddhist societies have never even come close to wiping it out. They are as capable of causing suffering as any. I am grateful to know Jesus Christ, who promises to come back and finally destroy all sin and death and evil once and for all and establish His kingdom, where we will be still alive and individual, but relating perfectly to each other and to Him, and free from sin and all its effects.

    ReplyDelete