Thursday, July 11, 2013

Confucian poetry (to be done in class, Thursday, July 11)

Please read through some of these selections from Confucian poetry.  How do the poems here compare with the poetry in the Bible?  Do they serve a similar function?  How do they reinforce Confucian teaching?

Look also at the I Ching.  What would have made this work attractive?  How would it have reinforced Confucian teaching?

10 comments:

  1. I am not big on poetry but the selections of Tang Shi poems is beautiful. Most of the poems I read showed a commonality of human desires. Many dealt with situations of war: homesick, wondering if a husband would return or receive gifts from home. Others spoke of earthly beauty, the moon, the land and animals, and songs.

    The difference I see from Biblical poetry is that the suffering is not relieved by God, the soldier or wife are not comforted by God, their actions are not guided by God and His Word. The songs do not praise Him. Beauty is recognized, but not the author of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness! I need to proof before posting!
      (selections are beautiful)

      Delete
  2. Something that I find similar between Psalms and Confucian poetry is that both use comparisons to make their point more clear. However, both need to be thought out thoroughly to get the full meaning as they’re written in a way almost like riddles.

    Confucian poetry seems to reinforce teaching in that they are all reflective of life, experiences, and learning. In the Novak book, p114 (number 2B) it says (per my translation of what it means) that the truth is hidden and people can only know what they experience; and later on page 116 (4D) you can’t do anything if you don’t think first. In Confucian poetry you need to think and pay attention to what it’s talking about, or you will miss the point and think it’s actually talking about, say, a flower instead of a person.

    In I Ching there’s a strong focus towards life’s progress and success which in itself reinforces Confucian teaching. I think it could be attractive because there’s so many symbols that represent different things that are good to learn and instead of explaining everything all the time, once you learn the symbol you can follow more easily what is being taught.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I find frustrating about poetry. I am more literal and have a hard time understanding what a "flower" may represent. I like the notes helping understanding.

      Delete
  3. The poem "Looking at the Moon and Thinking of One Far Away" catches my interest. One saying of Confucius in the Anelects is what I am reminded of when I read this poem found under the five-character-regular-verse poems. It is about someone who is thinking of someone dear to them. This person is far away so it leaves a feeling of lonliness deeming us to think that the person would be overcome with joy if this person were to be with them. The Confucius saying was along the lines of joy comes from a friend who comes from far away. This is a proverb of sorts that reminds me of what comes from the Bible when the book of Proverbs is read. Proverbs give advice on a what a virtuous life will bring. I think proverbs are a good way of finding out what exactly a particular faith teaches so I think Confucius teachings are reinforced in this way.

    Looking at the Pi Hexagram it shows how virtue and the right behavior can lead to prosperous unity between class systems, kings and subjects and so on. This is very in line with Confucian teachings and it shows its teachings through symbolism. It shows that with virtue there will be good fortune and this is very appealing to many. It would tell one how to find good fortune in their country and that it is attainable. In that way Confucian teaching is reinforced.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There were some major differences that I noticed between the biblical poetry and Confucian poetry. There was a focus on nature, nostalgia, war, interpersonal relationships. The Confucian poetry is less upfront about its meaning for those that hold deeper truth or lessons.

    Biblical poetry is more focused on God and relating to God, crying out to God, worship of God. It does teach values like many of the Confucian poetry does, but it is generally more upfront about its lesson.

    As for the I Ching I believe that part of its appeal could be how a person could interact directly with Confucian values and could use them to seek guidance and understanding of their situation. The divination aspect is more an active involvement in contemplation than just pouring over texts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tangshi III.1.(54) Tianmu Mountain Ascended in a Dream gives beautiful physical descriptions, including a storm coming up which reminds me very much of the imagery of in Psalm 18. It serves a different purpose, however, in that behind the storm in the Psalm there is the reality of God coming down with dramatic intervention in response to a cry for help. The Chinese poem has the author waking from the dream, seing joy "run forever like water toward the east", and facing stark reality that he is in a city far from home and asking, "Oh, how can I bow and scrape to men of high rank... who will never suffer an honest-hearted face?"

    The Confucian teaching in the Phi hexagram suggests that the faithful work of the low ranking will lead to success, though, and so we are not surprised that the one waking from the dream finds courage to do his duty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Referring to the Hexagrams and their use in divination: apparently this has been intriguing man for centuries. I have always found astrology, tarot cards, and reading tea leaves mostly "bunk". But they continue to draw people to them. President Reagan is reported as having used astrology.

    The Bible describes casting lots but discourages divination (Deuteronomy 18), sorcery, and witchcraft. It is recognized, but what is its source? Is it good or evil or is it that it can be misleading or corrupt? There is much about the universe we don't know or understand. Are we to understand? Just because you toss sticks on the ground do they mean someone can tell you your path? Should they?

    People pay a lot of money seeking such knowledge.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was difficult for me to compare because I LOVE the Psalms. I turn to them in times of trouble, and they provide me with comfort and strength. They are very meaningful to me. I struggled to find meaning in these poems because I couldn't relate to the culture or picture them in my head. Hopefully the I Ching provides guidance and help to its believers. It's not for me.

    ReplyDelete