Monday, June 24, 2013

Welcome!

In understanding history (and life in general) few subjects are more important than religion.  And yet, in general, the American educational system has little place for the discussion of religion and religious ideas--a serious defect.

In this class, we'll explore the world's seven most important religious traditions, thinking about important issues that, far too often, are shoved into the background.  We'll be reading selections from some of the most important works ever written, and you'll have the chance to share your ideas on these works both in class and on this blog.  

To get started, here's a test of the History 492 blog system. If you don't already have one, please create for yourself a "Blogger" account by following the instructions at http://www.blogger.com/. Be sure to create a blogger profile which includes your e-mail address. Otherwise, I can't reply directly to your post.

To make sure your e-mail address is accessible to me, please log on to your blogger account. Click "edit profile" (toward the top on the right). Then click the box that says to make your e-mail address accessible.

When you have created your blogger account and your profile, click the "comments" link below, and answer one (1) of the following questions:
  1. What is religion?  Why is it important?
  2. What religious figure do you find the most interesting and why?
  3. Which religious text do you find the most interesting and why?
  4. Why do you think religion is much less studied in school than it used to be?

11 comments:

  1. Response to question 1
    Religion is a set of beliefs and practices that when followed to the fullest should set a person apart from the rest of the general population. When looking at someone who calls themselves a Muslim, a Jew, a Christian or a Buddist any person should be able to look at them and see that clearly in the way they live their lives. That is why it is important in an earthly sense. Religious lives have people living for a higher purpose or a greater good. Many religions emphasize a need to help people and be generous or maybe even prepare them for the next life. The identity and order that people receive from religious beliefs goes beyond a life that does not follow said beliefs. Sifting through these beliefs helps us find the source to the greater good; we must consider all posibilities and all of the world's religions have something to teach all of us.- Zach Kuhlman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you mean "set a person apart"? Some people join a religion to be like everyone else.

      Delete
  2. The most interesting religious text, to me, is the book of Revelations in the Bible. Not my favorite book, but very interesting. To be honest, I have never read a religious text outside of the Christian Bible. I am excited to be exposed to other religion's texts and scriptures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Believes and continuously repeating actives.2
    2. Egyptians Gods.
    3. Not sure
    4. Parents believe in different things and don't like teacher teaching them other wise.
    Christina Grimme

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Religion is doing something over and over that you were only told to do once. Religion is man’s attempt to get closer to a supernatural being. To go along with what Barb mentioned, religion is all about dos and don’ts. For example, I was in Indonesia last year living with three different Muslim families over the course of five weeks. In the Muslim faith Islam, you have to pray five times a day every day; you have to make sure not to sin (you also have to know what is a sin and what isn’t, which is something that not everyone knows so it’s full of uncertainty); you have to be a “good” person; et cetera or you will not go to Heaven. Although religion is filled with all these dos and don’ts, it can be important because it also can bring unity and strength to a society like we discussed in class this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your answer, Barb. Having a relationship is about love while having religion is about rules.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What religious figure do you find the most interesting and why?

    I don't want to give the standard Sunday school answer (it's always "Jesus"), but the religious figure I find most interesting is Jesus Christ. For all I know so far (lots to learn yet) Jesus is the only God figure who is God come to earth in human form to live as man, be a role model, and to sacrifice his life for the people. Other religions I know about have prophets, teachers, philosophers, or have multiple gods for different objects or nature. As a man, Jesus truly experienced being a physical man and died a man, yet he was (is) God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I have read more of Smith's book, I see that the many gods of Hinduism are god come down to earth; "In every age I come back,to deliver the holy, to destroy the sin of the sinner, to establish the righteous" (pg 36). But I don't see him sacrificing himself for all of man.....
      I am still learning.

      Delete
  7. 3. I have a hard time settling on a "most" anything... but the book of Hebrews in the New Testament always fascinates me. As an exposition of the deeper meanings implied in the rich symbolism of Jewish religious practice, it opens the whole Torah dramatically. It also looks ahead vividly to the new Jerusalem, reveals much about the character of God, and, especially from Chapter 10 on, shows us the reality of who we become as believers in Christ who have received His atonement -- the Holy of Holies, the Body of Christ in which the whole fullness of the Godhead dwells bodily. (I also am fascinated by Barnabas as "best supporting actor" and am fairly well convinced he wrote Hebrews after having discussed these things at length with Paul.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I find that the septuagint is one of the more interesting religious texts that I have had exposure to. When I was attending Bethel University, I was enrolled in a couple of bible and theology courses and always found the septuagint interesting. I find it most interesting that most Christians don't even know of it's existence even though part of it is a continuation of the book of Daniel. It has some great parables that I would find applicable to many of today's "problems". I especially love the story of Bel and the Dragon. Even as a college student, it brought out a childlike interest, reading and rereading it several times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see religion as a way of living or a set of practices that enable a person to connect with god. I feel that it is a way of living because it teaches people morality and gives a motivation for why they should live that way. Without religion society would not have been able to function as humans would not have moved past a selfish animalistic lifestyle.

    Post enlightenment and the modern era only strengthen the need for religion because with science replacing religion's previous role of explaining the world a gap in morality is left behind that science and humanism cannot replace. People don't have a reason to act with discipline or morally because they are told do whatever feels good and there is no consequences. Without religion people just do what is right in their own eyes and if you follow the logical outcome of lack of spiritual truth, then every behavior is technically permitted no matter how vile or brutal because if there is no authority higher than humans then who is to say that a serial killer's actions are wrong if they are right for him?

    So, that is what religion is to me and why it is important. Without the moral element society breaks down or even steps backwards when it comes to social progress.

    ReplyDelete